Public beautification and education has been the emphasis of the Duluth Garden Flower Society for the past 8 decades. The Duluth Garden Flower Society members maintain public gardens stretching from Morgan Park to Lester Park, and from Superior, Wisconsin to Island Lake. Each year the Society and its members host dozens of seminars and classes to help teach gardeners new techniques and ideas that might help them in their gardens. It also hosts the widely popular Secret Garden Tour each year where local private gardens are put on display for visitors to enjoy.
2014 Upcoming Events
Spring is right around the corner so check out all the gardening activities coming up!
- Great Gardening Spring Show, March 13 (NOTE DATE CHANGE), on PBS at 7 pm. The 12th season with Tom Kasper and Bob Olen will begin with the 1 1/2 hour kickoff show hosted by Pamela Fish. The 1/2 hour regular season shows begin on Thursday, April 10, at 7 pm. Tom and Bob will record questions at the Duluth Home Show April 2-6 and answer them on the April 10 show www.wdse.org/shows/gardening
- 8th District Spring Luncheon, Saturday May 10th from 9 am to 3 pm at Valentini's in Chisholm, MN. Wildflower expert Susan Kolstad will present "Meandering through the Wildflowers". Registration and more information.
- DGFS Beautification Grants. Available to DGFS Member Clubs for up to $400 towards garden and community beautification projects. Applications will be available in April. Grants will be awarded in May.
- The WLSSD Compost Bin and Rain Barrel Sale will take place on May 17 from 9 am to 1 pm at Lake Superior College.
- 19th Annual Plant Sale, May 31st in the Rose Garden Parking lot. Starts at 8 am so dress warm and come early for the best selection of choice plants from many expert gardeners.
- The Annual DGFS Secret Garden Tour, July 19. View a variety of spectacular gardens by bus or self-guided tour. Be sure to check out the Photo Gallery for pictures of past tours. Registration forms will be available in April.
- The DGFS Annual Flower Show, August 1 at the Duluth Depot, Great Hall, in Duluth, MN. See beautiful garden specimens and arrangements.